Monday, March 8, 2010

Cheat days are for pussies

As I have started my journey, I have had a ton of advice from well meaning people on my diet. A lot of them have told me I should have a "cheat day". A day where you eat whatever it is you want. I ask you, if you smoked for 20 years then quit, how beneficial would a cheat day be? Ask the recovering drug addict or recovering alcoholic if a cheat day is a good idea. A little extreme you say? I've gone overboard? You make your excuses, call me crazy, whatever you want. But I guarantee that if you have a cheat day, your chances of slipping back into your old eating habits will be huge.
I refuse to have a cheat day. I have a totally new view on food that will not be the same ever again. If you are serious about not only losing weight but also your overall health you will learn not to have a cheat day too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Cheat days are like walking into and allowing some temptation, and last I heard we're to flee that stuff and turn the other way. You are right on. Don't look back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess too it depends on your attitude towards food. If you have *ever* used food to change your mood, celebrate something, lift you up if you are down, or when you were bored, or to keep your mouth busy that puts you in a slightly different category than a 'food for sustenance' category. Then it is really more like an addiction than just a bad habit you want to just change. I know the smokers I know (who have smoked for much of their lives using it as a 'substance' and not just a social thing to do, and have suffered from addiction) understand this analogy perfectly. We all have our battles to fight. And win :)

    ReplyDelete